eLeMenT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows)

5 posters

Go down

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Empty [School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows)

Post by vega Wed Nov 20 2013, 10:00

This tutorial is for the most part the same for all operating systems, besides on how you get netradiant. I will look how to get it on linux later and add it here, sadly i dont have any apple pc near me and i have no idea how to get it there. Lets get started!

Step 1: Getting Netradiant
Getting Netradiant isn't hard at all on windows. Just go to your Nexuiz folder -> extra. There you should see a folder called "netradiant-1.5.0-svn389-win32". Open that and you found netradiant! (C:\Users\Vega\Documents\Nexuiz\extra -> this depends on where you put your nexuiz)

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Waarne11

Step 2: Starting up and preferences
First thing that pops up when you start up Netradiant is something called "Global Preferences". The 2 checkboxes that you see are just something you can change for your own preference so i wont be getting to much on that since its different how people like it. The "select the game" option is ofcourse very important. Here you just select "Nexuiz" and press OK. (Its also possible that you have to select a path for where your nexuiz folder is located, i believe thats not to hard so i wont make a screenshot about it :p)

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Openne11

Now if you think that were all the preferences you can change, you are wrong! When Netradiant opened up, you have to press "P" on your keyboard to open up all of the preferences. When you did that it should look something like this:

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Netrad11

Now lets get into detail! :DThis is something very important so be sure to read through this all, there are screenshots for nearly every option (this took me ages -.-), just click it to make it bigger.

• The first option you get is the "Global" option. Here you can just select the game you would like to create a game for, just as we did when starting up and the "global preferences" popped up.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Gamepr11

• The Second option is "Interface", this is again a personal preference. I like to use the left one but you should try a bit around with those to find out which one you like best. The 2 checkboxes you just check, in my opinion thats the best option to go with. The options for your mouse you just have to check what your mouse has. If you have a scroll wheel you have a 3 button mouse. If you have more than 3 just also check 3 Wink

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Layout11

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Mousep11

• With the "display" settings i didn't mess to much but you can try around with it if you would like to. Here is how they look for me:

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Textur12

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Patche11

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Entiti11

• Now we've finally come to the last preference/option there is: "Settings". These will change the most things that will effect your mapbuilding experience. The first one we have to get into is the "Undo" setting. Here i choose for 64, dont ask me why it might even be default.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Undopr11

The next option is "Brush", here you just have to see my settings on how i prefer it because about some settings i have no idea what they do xD But one that i do want to point out is the "always use caulk..." option. I check this because caulk is a bright, pink texture that will stand out and you will be able to see your build very good. In my netradiant thats broken sadly :p

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Brushp11

About the "Grid" option i cant say much because as i said in the previous setting, i dont know to much about the settings myself :/ I have here the default i believe: 8.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Gridpr11

The "Path" setting is just where your nexuiz folder is located. I wont show mine because i think it explains itself pretty good. If needed i will add one just reply here and i'll do so.

"Serface Inspector"... No idea what that is sorry but here's a screenshot Very Happy

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Surfac11

The "Camera" settings are again personal preferences. I think the options explain themself also, being how fast you can move with the camera etc. How to move with the camera i'll get into later.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Camera11

"Orthographic"...? Yes! This thingy is very important, just take over my settings here unless you know for sure that something else is better for you. But this "Orthographic" option is a very handy tool we'll be using later on when creating our map. This ofcourse if you have chosen also my interface.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Orthog11

Now the next setting is about a tool that has to become your best friend when mapping, the "Clipper" tool. The setting is just f it should use caulk or not, which i do use because in my previous settings i checked the box to always use caulk when making new brushes.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Clippe11

The "Build" setting is pretty important. I will get in to detail more about "Build" itself later. But lets take a look at the settings. I pretty much check all boxes besides the "Run engine...". The reason for this is because it starts your nexuiz then when ever you compile. Well to be more specific, it starts up something that looks like nexuiz but its an older version and is bugged like hell. How to test your maps then? Well i'll tell you later in this tutorial! Also be sure to check the second box! This is very handy because leaks are a pain in the ass. And if you have to wait for the compiling to complete to fix your leak you sometimes can be sitting around for ages...

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Buildp11

The next setting, "Texture Browser", is just how you can scroll trough your textures. It doesn't matter to much what you do here, its again a personal preference. I would suggest for beginners to use my settings but its not needed at all.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Textur13

Now the last setting! The "Autosave" setting! This is something you need to enable, i dont care f you dont like it you have to! Some critical people might ask, but why? Well i'll tell you why! Netradiant sometimes crashes, i think people that used it allready know this. If you enable autosaving you dont loose all your work just because of a stupid crash. I autosave every 3 minuts, which is pretty frequent, but you can also set it around 5 or so. The snapshots aren't needed, but if you would like to make a stop motion film about your build sure check that.

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Autosa11

First video part:

Last edited by vega on Mon Jun 29 2015, 16:35; edited 8 times in total
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

https://element-nex.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Empty Re: [School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows)

Post by vega Wed Nov 20 2013, 10:01

I will continue later, i have to study a bit now Wink

The picture dont enlarge yet also so i have to re-upload those... Sad

vega
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

[School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows) Empty Re: [School] Basic Mapping Tutorial (Windows)

Post by Avallac'h Wed Nov 20 2013, 14:39

thank you a lot vega !!

Avallac'h
Avallac'h
Avallac'h
eLeMenT Friend
eLeMenT Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by vega Wed Nov 20 2013, 14:57

its not done at all :p but i'll finish soon Smile

vega
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avallac'h Wed Nov 20 2013, 16:13

Smile i know but thank you Very Happy

Avallac'h
Avallac'h
Avallac'h
eLeMenT Friend
eLeMenT Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by vega Fri Nov 22 2013, 07:53

I need to complete this but i dont have time yet ;(

vega
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waschbecki Sat Nov 23 2013, 22:01

thats no problem. studying goes first Wink
but ty for that pics

Waschi
waschbecki
waschbecki
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vega Wed Dec 04 2013, 11:03

the pictures are re-uploaded now so they should be bigger when you click them. I'll add basic mapping stuff probably soon as well

vega
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vega Sat Mar 29 2014, 23:18

Will probably continue this tomorow... wish me luck Very Happy

vega
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Schocksal Sun Mar 30 2014, 12:14

good luck!!  Wink 

Schocki Smile
Schocksal
Schocksal
Spammer
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Avallac'h Sun Mar 30 2014, 14:22

Thank you for the end Very Happy

Avallac'h
Avallac'h
Avallac'h
eLeMenT Friend
eLeMenT Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by vega Sun Mar 30 2014, 14:33

check the first post ava there's the first vid Wink

vega
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vega Thu Jun 26 2014, 16:40

New episode!

Be sure to check the actual channel for an other video Razz

v
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neXus Thu Jun 26 2014, 21:24

dat voice tho Very Happy
neXus
neXus

Back to top Go down

Post by vega Thu Jun 26 2014, 21:38

neXus wrote:dat voice tho Very Happy

Sexy right? Wink But my voice was tired, this is like take 3 or so xD and i was singing ultra loud the complete morning so my throad was a bit soar xD

vega
vega
vega
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avallac'h Fri Jun 27 2014, 11:20

Thank you vega for the tutorial, as that i will be able to make some maps Wink

Avallac'h
Avallac'h
Avallac'h
eLeMenT Friend
eLeMenT Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down